[X4U] OS X won't install on external HD

Peter van Peursem sirius61 at nerdshack.com
Sun Aug 27 03:47:00 PDT 2006

On 27-aug-2006, at 3:29, Cubeistan wrote:

> Thanks again John. This puppy has FW and USB, IDE & S-ATA, so I'd
> think it should work. Oh am using a MacBook but that shouldn't
> matter, should it?

The MacBook does matter. Intel based Mac's use a different partition
scheme than PowerPC based Mac's. A disk formatted on a PowerPC Mac
will report on an Intel Mac the error you mentioned in your first
message ('OS X cannot be installed on this disk')
You will have to repartition the disk on the MacBook if you want to
boot from that drive with the MacBook. Click on the Options button to
choose the correct partition scheme (GUID Partition Table).
You can use it now as a standard external drive on the MacBook and
PowerPC based Mac's. If you repartition it with the new scheme I
think you lose that  capability.

Peter van Peursem
sirius61 at nerdshack.com