[X4U] iTunes authorization

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Mon Dec 4 03:02:47 PST 2006

On 4 Dec 2006, at 10:16, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Simon Forster wrote:
>
>> I was an early adopter of iTunes and bought a couple of tracks
>> from the store almost as soon as it was launched. Quite quickly I
>> lost the tracks (laptop replacement, dying hard drives etc) and so
>> I decided not to buy DRMed tracks. More recently I bought an album
>> from iTunes - which has gone too as I swapped machines around.
>
> In other words, you didn't back up your files...? :-)

Actually, no. It's simply that I tend to use the move from one
machine to another (or a hard drive upgrade) as an excuse to do some
spring cleaning. I copy across the stuff I need and then make some
form of archive copy of the old data so that if I need something in
the future, I can go get it. But think garage storage. After you've
not needed something for a few months - maybe a year - it's chucked
in the garage. A couple of years down the line, you know it's in the
garage but there's got to be a pretty compelling reason to go dig it
out. (Compressed disk archives on DVDs anyone?)

Now think tracks I can't access. Why keep them? They don't get copied
across.

If I can manage my track authorisation list, great. Tell me how. (As
an administrator for at least a dozen Mac servers of various flavours
I should be able to cope - but I want to manage from a centralised
point, remotely, with administrator privileges). Show me how to do
this and I may use iTunes store a bit more.

Anyway, as it stands, some of the tracks I've purchased are
authorised to five computers long since gone. How do I de-authorise
them? (Ah. OK. Found the de-authorise all button in the "View my
account..." menu item).

Ah. Sod it. I've wasted more time tippety tapping out these emails
than it would have taken to go and buy the CDs from Amazon. At GBP 15
per album, to replace all my iTunes tracks would cost GBP 45 - and
then no more of this faffing about. Realistically, it'll cost me less
than that.

Now tell me, why do I want to use the iTunes store?

Simon Forster