[X4U] Re: iPod Questions

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Mon Dec 4 14:28:17 PST 2006

>From: Barbara Frederick <frederick at jersey.net>
>Subject: [X4U] iPod Questions
>
>I have a few questions about the iPod.  My son has been complaining
>that he can't play songs that he downloaded from iTunes on his GPS
>thingie.  (Can't remember the brand, but it is PC oriented.)  Yes, he
>has both a work PC and an old Mac, the Lombard Powerbook and iTunes 7
>and a high speed connection.

Barbara, in case you haven't already received this explanation...
Apple uses a protection scheme with the music and video they offer on
the iTunes Music Store. Referred to as Digital Rights Management
(DRM) software. Only iPods (and the iTunes application on your Mac or
PC) have the ability to unlock and play music or video legally. As
others have noted, there are ways to remove this protection scheme.

>So I said that I would buy him an iPod for Christmas.  He said the Nano
>would be good and my comment was why not the 80G iPod.  His comment, "
>What would I do with it?"   So I am  asking what can he do with the
>original iPod that he can't do with the Nano? Stupid questions...yes!

These are not stupid questions at all. Like shopping for a car, the
first question is "how are you going to use the thing".

The Nanos are small, light, colorful, stylish, long play on each
charge of the battery.

The Video iPods (30GB and 80GB) play video, have larger screens, and
hold much more music/video than the Nano's.

For example, the video capability isn't a high priority for me, but I
would **love** to be able to hold my entire music library on my iPod
if possible, so I opted for the 60GB (about 18 months ago). Since I
use the highest encoding method (ie creates big files), I can only
hold half of my music at any one time (sigh). I'm waiting for a 120GB
model before upgrading again.

Since you have already offered to get him the 80GB model, I'll assume
that the cost difference is not a factor. So, figure out the answers
to these questions...

Does you son have lots of CDs and/or digital music already? Say 200
CDs worth or more?

Is holding all of his music on the iPod at once important to him?

Does he want a small 'pod?

Does he want a more stylish/colorful iPod?

Will he want to watch TV shows and other video on his 'pod?

Answer those questions and you have your iPod choice.

>Barbara a true Luddite, who has just upgraded from a Walkman to a
>portable CD player.

Well I know this guy who still swears by his 8-Track tapes ... ;-)

Mike

--
Michael J. Prevost
Dot4, Inc.