[X4U] Upgrading RAM on an Intel iMac

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Fri Dec 8 10:52:50 PST 2006

I bought my Intel iMac with a 250GB HD (instead of the standard 160)
and with 1GB RAM (instead of the standard 512MB).

1.  I decided to upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB.  I bought a Crucial
1GB SODimm via Amazon and installed it in the second slot (the lower
slot when the computer is face down.)

   The computer would not boot up.  I just got the flashing light on
the front panel.

    I removed the new Crucial SODimm and the system worked fine.

2.  Next, I removed the original SODimm, which was a Samsung unit.  I
put my new Crucial unit it the top slot.
      Everything worked fine.

3.  Next, I installed the original Samsung unit in the lower slot and
left the Crucial unit in the upper slot.
      Everything worked fine -- the "About This Mac" showed "2GB 667
MHz DDR2 SDRAM".

Now everything is working fine.

Curious!

earle