[X4U] OT: using old tower Mac as a Firewire case?

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 15:11:10 PST 2006

On Dec 10, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Neil wrote:

> Maybe the old Macs are a little slow now and the FW a little flaky,
> but it
> can still make sense if you are on a budget and have an old G4 with
> gigabit
> Ethernet lying around. Pop in a RAID IDE or SATA card and you have a
> network attached storage device on the cheap. Even if you only have
> a G3,
> that could still make sense if you are familiar with Linux and have
> drivers
> for a cheap Gigabit Ethernet card.
>
> I'm not an expert on this stuff and have never tried it, but am I
> missing
> anything here?

No, you're not missing anything, an old G4 tower would make a fine
file server - either running OS X or Linux. However that's a different
configuration than what Michael asked about, which was whether you
could put a bunch of disks in a tower and boot in Target Disk Mode
directly attached to the firewire of another machine.

Phil