[X4U] OT: using old tower Mac as a Firewire case?

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Wed Dec 13 18:10:52 PST 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Jan Melichar wrote:

> How can I tell whether a case or the drive fails?
>

> On 12 Dec 2006, at 22:53, John Kiss wrote:
>

>> On Dec 10, 2006, at 11:27 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> But I've been down that road..SEVERAL times.  I've had 3 external
>>> cases (not the drives) fail.
>>
>> I'm curious. I've had 2 LaCie d2 cases fail. One only 2 months out
>> of warranty. Do you want to tell us which cases failed on you?

In my case I simply pulled out the drives from the external cases and
put them into my G4 MDD. The drives were fine indicating that the
case was bad. I then did a little troubleshooting inside the external
cases and found that in both instances the diodes on the power supply
board were shorted. I was able to replace both of those diodes and
both my cases are back in operation.

Swap-a-tronics type troubleshooting is probably the fastest and
easiest way to determine where the problem lies. Unfortunately, that
only works if you can swap things back and forth - such as in my case.

> and what can I do if its one or the other?

If the case fails, your option is to buy another case or move the
drive to your desktop enclosure, if possible. If the drive fails
replace it with another drive.