[X4U] HP Designjet 2500

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Dec 14 08:33:53 PST 2006

On 12/14/06 9:42 AM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> A friend bought this printer to work with his G4 PB (10.4.8).  He
> went to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/
> DriverDownload.jsp?
> pnameOID=12679&&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25153 and selected OS
> X.  The downloaded soft asked for OS 9.  The latest version is from
> 2002.
> Has anybody a solution or a driver for this printer?  My friend
> hasn't OS 9.  I even don't know if one can install OS 9 on this PB.

Any G4 PowerBook can run Classic, and so can have OS 9 installed to run in
Classic.

The driver on that page you mention clearly says, Mac OS 8, 9 and X in
classic mode. Unfortunately, the 2500 and 3500 are discontinued printers, so
HP will most likely never update the drivers. That leaves yoru friend with a
couple of choices:

He can reinstall OS 9 on his PowerBook so that he can run Classic within OS
X to set up the driver for this printer.

OR, he can try something like Gimp-Print
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/> which may or may not work for
him with this printer.

OR, he can try using "Generic" settings that are present in OS X, which
won't "unlock" some features of this printer.

Hopefully the used printer was inexpensive enough to make some of this
hassle worthwhile for your friend!

Did you ever find out why your computer would chime on startup even if your
Control Panel sounds were muted? Did you test it with unplugging your
headset first? I don't remember seeing your followup on that.

peace,
Linda