[X4U] Apples Airport worth the extra cost?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 15 04:48:04 PST 2006

On 14 Dec 2006, at 04:51, Bob Aldridge wrote:

> I’m wanting to install a wireless network in my house. Apple’s
> Airport cost’s $200 vs some of the new “N” models from Linksys are
> only $129.

Don't buy "pre-N" wireless hardware.

A review in ExtremeTech showed that many "pre-N" products couldn't
talk to each other - even to other pre-N products made by the same
manufacturer!!
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1697%2C2013303%2C00.asp>

Graphical synopsis in the second table at:
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2013307,00.asp>

802.11N is not expected to be ratified for several months - when it
is you'll be able to buy "real-N" hardware.

> I’m wanting to support Apple but the cost of the Airport seems so
> outragoues. Is there some reason it is so expensive? It is worth it?

It depends on how much your time is worth. Customers of mine have
sometimes spent several hours faffing around with trying to get a
wireless network going before calling me (although admittedly they're
almost all using Windows) whereas I can get the job done in about 20
or 30 minutes.

I like the Netgear kit, but if I had the money I might well buy
Airport base-stations. They sound very easy to configure and they
make it very easy to make an extended network via WDS.

Stroller.