[X4U] Need to promote an account

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 15 14:08:27 PST 2006

At 17:00 -0500 15/12/06, Neil Laubenthal wrote:
>Are there any other admin accounts? If not . . .and if the root
>account wasn't enabled . . .I don't know of any way to do it.
>
>Might be something sneaky I don't know about though.
>

>On Dec 15, 2006, at 02:40, Mark Gibson wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>A colleague has somehow demoted the admin account on his machine to
>>merely "standard". Amazingly enough he can now do very little on
>>the machine. :)
>>
>>I tried creating a new "admin" account but I need an current one to
>>unlock the padlock.
>>
>>Any ideas on how I can "promote" an existing standard account back
>>to "Administrative" status?
>>
>>Happy to futz around in the Terminal or single user mode if that's
>>what's required.
>>--

No I'm afraid she "demoted" both her own account and the "emergency
use only" admin account i had setup.

I think root is enabled (but have forgotten how to check).

If it is can I "fix" it via the terminal or single user mode?
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy,
and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70
million machines in use wordwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand,
may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that
numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. --New York Times,
November 26, 1991