[X4U] JVC Everio and the Mac.

Adrian Stubbs stubbsz at comcast.net
Tue Dec 19 19:53:16 PST 2006

Kevin Willis wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2006, at 10:00 PM, Adrian Stubbs wrote:
>
>> I bought a JVC Everio Camera in a hurry; needed it for a particular
>> event.  My old Canon zr10 broke again.
>>
>> The camera is fantastic for taking video and Its Mac compatible.
>> Should put quotes round that.  The software they supply doesn't work
>> and all I can do is drag their files on to my hard drive, rename them
>> and play them with quicktime.  I can't then edit them in anything.
>> What do I have to do to make this camera worthwhile... it seems to be
>> designed for PC users wanting to dump the files directly on to a DVD.
>>
>> Is there a free or low price way that I can use this camera without a
>> ton of pain or is there a similarly good camera that is firewire/mac
>> compatible in the way I want... compatible with iMovie etc.
>>
>> -Adrian
>
> I have the Everio Hard Disk Camcorder. It's not exactly "Plug and
> Play", but I got it to work. I connect the camcorder via USB and
> launch the application that comes with it. In the app., I go to file->
> load file and navigate through the camera to the file.  Once it is
> loaded, I save it as a DV stream.  That way I can drop it in to iMovie
> and take it from there. If you have any problems, let me know. I ain't
> no expert. but we might can help.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Kevin

I missed that I could save it from that App to DV.  I thought I tried.
It seems to work now though.   I ended up buying the MPEG-2 Quicktime
codec from Apple which enabled mpeg streamclip to save the files to DV.
I should have waited for you to answer my question and saved 20 bucks :)

On my wifes kick-ass MacBook Pro, the JVC software would complain about
missing libraries.

Thanks
-Adrian