[X4U] Word 2004 and OS X server 10.4.8 Wackiness

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 20 11:14:13 PST 2006

At 13:24 -0500 20/12/06, Jon Warms wrote:
>I installed Office 2004 on my MacBook, which already had Office X.
>
>This was some time ago, and Office 2004 has been running very well,
>faster in several key spreadsheets than X had been.
>
>IIRC, initially on occasion the wrong Office version would open, and
>also I had to take a look at the new preferences.
>
>I would suggest you ensure that 2004 opens instead of X, and also
>make sure the preferences are correct (that Office brought them over
>correctly). In some apps, with some preference settings, the last used
>directory is proposed for new opens and saves (instead of the default
>location). This may be not what you expect, especially when you
>first work with
>a document in Office 2004.
>
>Overall, Office 2004 works very well on MacBook, with 10.4.8.
>
>Jon
>
>On Dec 20, 2006, at 15:37:28 +1100, Mark Gibson
><gibsonm at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>

>Now I know the default response is "Its Microsoft what else do you
>expect" but I'm hoping someone has a workaround for this.
>
>Over the weekend we upgraded the office of a client from Office X
>running under OS X server 10.4.8 (with 10.4.8 on all clients) to
>Office 2004 and then patched up to the recent Office 11.3 release.
>
>The network is Cat 6 with Gigabit switches.
>
>Under Office X everything ran fine, now the users are getting
>intermittent errors:
>
>"There has been a network or file permission error. The network
>connection may be lost."
>
>The server icon remains on the desktop and files can be accessed.
>
>The current work around is to save the file to the desktop, quit Word
>and copy the file back to the correct position on the server.
>
>Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
>
>or should i think of backing out to Word X until the new version of
>Office or Leopard arrives?

>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

Jon,

Thanks.

Office X has been removed from all the machines. Its not an issue of
one version opening rather than the other.

I've been using Office 2004 on my PowerBook / MacBook Pro's since
2004, its the client who has just upgraded.

I think its a network / sharing type issue, not related to just using
the application on just one machine.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

You can't fall off the floor. -- Unknown