[X4U] Using a PowerBook screen as an external monitor?

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Wed Dec 20 16:39:21 PST 2006

Right.  Got that already, but that doesn't let me use the PB screen
as an external monitor.  What I want to do is to make the PB
temporarily headless and let the MacBook use its monitor.

Here's an example of how it might work (which I don't know if it's
possible):

1) Force the MacBook to think it has an external monitor, even though
it doesn't.

2) Use VNC on the PB to create a full screen view of the virtual
external monitor.

Voila, the PB becomes an external monitor.  Problem is that 1) is
impossible AFAIK, and 2) is difficult as VNC doesn't discriminate
between monitors.  But it's one way to skin this cat.

Best,
Jeff