[X4U] if PB monitor dies, does external work?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 21 09:49:40 PST 2006

> Just curious to know...if a powerbook or ibook's own monitor stops
> working for whatever reason, outside of apple care, will an external
> monitor be able to work and be recognized by that computer?

Many, many moons ago, my only (and first) Mac was a PowerBook 520c, the
backlight died, but once I got the adapter necessary to hook up a VGA
monitor, it worked just fine for a few months that way until I was able to
buy a PowerMac 8500/180.

The trick is probably going to be getting it configured so that you can use
that external port, rather than the screen if you don't normally have that
port turned on.  If the screen is totally dead, you might not be able to get
it to switch over to the other screen.  I was lucky, I was just barely able
to see stuff on my screen.

		Zane