[X4U] export Address Book

P. H. Adams phadams at mac.com
Sat Dec 23 08:28:55 PST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 9:16 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Right. I don't know if my post reached the list, but that was the
> one I recommended too. But I also commented that at least when I do
> it and get the CSV file and open that in Excel, the address data
> (street, city, state, zip) all ends up in one cell, which makes it
> less than idea if someone is wanting to put it into a labeling
> program or something like that. It is not nicely formatted.

Just a couple of comments on that. A CSV (Comma Separated Value) file
is itself just a flat text file that can be easily viewed and
manipulated using a text editor. In fact, by using TextEdit (or
something more powerful, e.g. TextWrangler, BBEdit, et al.) or even
command line utilities (sed, awk, grep) you can do a search and
replace on the commas and format the file pretty much any way you'd
like in a fairly automated fashion. AppleScript or Perl (or another
scripting language) can also be used if you really want to get
aggressive.

It's not necessary to use Excel, but if you want to do it the "right"
way, you don't want to just open the file. You will want to import by
using the menu selection "Data -> Get External Data -> Import Text
File..." In the resulting menu, select that you are importing a
delimited text fle and in the next menu, choose comma as the
delimiter. Other screens give further options, such as specifying the
type of data in the field (text, date, number, etc.). When finished,
the values should end up in neat columns in the worksheet.

-pha