[X4U] Keychain

Thomas W Noel tnoel at mac.com
Sun Dec 24 22:24:28 PST 2006

 From Mail.app Help:

Signing and encrypting email messages
If you have a personal certificate on your computer, you can send
signed messages (including the body of the message and any
attachments) to anyone using Mail. Signed messages let your
recipients verify your identity as the sender, and provide assurance
that the message has not been tampered with in transit. A Signed icon
(a checkmark) in the email header indicates your personal certificate
is installed in Keychain Access.

Encrypted messages (which encrypt both the body of the message and
any attachments) offer a higher level of security than just signed
messages. You can only send encrypted messages when you have
certificates stored on your computer for both you and all recipients
of your message. The easiest way to get someone's certificate is to
have them send you a signed email message. When you view a signed
message, Mail automatically imports the person's certificate (or
"public key") and stores it in your keychain. You'll know you have
the recipient's personal certificate installed in Keychain Access if
an Encrypt (closed lock) icon appears next to the Signed icon after
you address a new mail message to that person.

To sign and encrypt an email message:
Choose File > New Message. In the Account pop-up menu, choose the
account for which you have a personal certificate installed in your
keychain. A Signed (checkmark) icon on the upper-right side above the
message text indicates the message will be signed when you send it.
To send the message unsigned, click the Signed icon to deselect it.
An unsigned ("x") icon replaces the checkmark.
Address the email. An Encrypt (closed lock) icon appears next to the
Signed icon if you have a personal certificate for the recipient in
your keychain and indicates the message will be encrypted when you
send it. To send the message unencrypted, click the Encrypt icon to
deselect it. An open lock icon replaces the closed lock icon.
For security, encrypted messages are saved in your Sent mailbox in an
encrypted format.
If you don't have a certificate for all the recipients, a dialog
appears that allows you to either cancel the delivery of the message
or send the message unencrypted.

If your recipients are using Mail, security headers marked Signed and
Encrypted are visible in the messages they receive. If they are using
an application that doesn't use signed and encrypted messages, the
certificate might be in the form of an attachment. If your recipients
save the attachment as a file, they can add your certificate to their
keychain.

Since many mailing lists reject signed messages (because the
signature is an attachment), deselect the Signed icon before sending
a message to a mailing list.