[X4U] Firewire

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sun Dec 31 14:31:36 PST 2006

On 12/31/06 4:26 PM, Peter Sealy wrote:

> I have an external 400 Firewire HD which I connect to my TiPowerBook
> as necessary to clone/backup my PowerBook system. When I buy a new
> computer which has Firewire 800 speed will my 400 HD still run on the
> new computer albeit at the slower 400 speed. I know those speeds are
> theoretical but I guess what I am asking is if a 400 HD is compatible
> with an 800 port on a new computer. I hope I have expressed that
> clearly.

Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 have different connectors -- they are not the
same connector with different speeds, as USB and USB 2.0 are. They are
physically different shapes, so you cannot plug a Firewire 400 cord into a
Firewire 800 jack, and vice versa.

This Ohio State website illustrates with pictures.
<http://8help.osu.edu/1249.html>

Hope this helps!

peace,
Linda