[X4U] Another cool firefox feature

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Wed Feb 1 08:28:44 PST 2006

Richard Gilmore wrote:
> Just my 2 cents on this. I prefer Firefox. Someone said in an earlier post
> that Safari was faster I haven't found this to be the case.

What I said was that, depending on the amount and type of extensions,
Firefox can feel a bit sluggish when responding to interface events,
like changing tabs of clicking on menus.  This happens to me in Windows,
Linux, and MacOS X.

It certainly makes sense if you consider that some extensions change or
intercept the default actions when certain events take place, and this
is done "on the fly".  I'm sure with a bit more RAM the lag will not be
noticeable, but at the moment, I notice it when I have multiple windows
opened and various tabs in them.

Also, pages heavy on JavaScript (for DHTML) tend to run a bit slower on
Firefox, at least that I can see.  Again, this is on any platform I have
used the browser.

I do not see this problem with other browsers, such as Safari or Opera,
perhaps because their feature set is limited within the core
application, and these features are optimized within.  Certainly, a
plain-vanilla installation of Firefox, sans any extensions, is faster
than greased lighting.

	dZ.