[X4U] No AppleWorks on intel iMacs?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Feb 6 13:34:49 PST 2006

nk said:

>yep. that and MacWrite 2.
>
>I like what I can do now, relative to then, but it seems the emphasis
>on simplicity was a much stronger value back then...

Simplicity and tightly written code.  Those old programs were tiny.
(They had to be, they had to fit on a floppy disk with room to spare for
things like the Mac OS!)

Way back then there was a huge controversy over Apple competing with
third party developers in the Mac application market.  The theory was
that if Apple had an offering that third party developers were locked out
from competing, and that that discouraged developers from being
interested in developing for the Macintosh.  For a long time Apple
stepped back and left the application market almost entirely to third
parties.

At some point, after Jobs came back to Apple, Apple really has reversed
that stance. Apple now has new software offerings in just about every
really important area except for a spreadsheet and a basic dedicated
graphics program.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html