[X4U] Help. Explorer: never thought I would look for it

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 6 17:54:05 PST 2006

On 6 Feb 2006, at 22:20, Steve Self wrote:

> ActiveX was a Microsoft mistake and should never be used by web
> designers. One has to ignore all standards to use it... Yet
> laziness leads to it's use. And it immediately locks out all mac
> users. It really is poor technology.

I'm not sure that locking out Mac (and Linux) users is a bad thing
from Microsoft's point of view, or ActiveX a mistake.

I rarely see ActiveX on "real" websites but Microsoft-centric
application developers love it, as it can be built with this
whole .Net thing. The buzz-words that are "web-enabled application"
have filtered down to all the small & crumby software houses now, so
all the sort of apps that used to be knocked up in VB (by a team of
two programmers and a salesman) can now be accessed through a web-
browser. Small & crumby software houses cover a massive section of
the application market - all those niche apps for estate agents and
financial consultants and whathaveyou - and if apps are going to be
accessing through a web-browser I'm sure that Bill considers it
better that said web-browser is locked to Microsoft.

Without in any way defending anyone that chooses to be locked-in to a
single IT vendor, ActiveX is actually Really Cool (tm) if you have
access to & a use for it - it's very slick and it offers features
that I think might be difficult to reproduce in Java or some other
cross-platform language. Microsoft use it as part of their Terminal
Services software now, so that you can remote desktop through a web-
browser (so long as that browser is Internet Explorer, of course). An
employee can power up their PC at home and access the office intranet
- not only is the webmail completely Outlookised but they can log
into a virtual desktop, run third-party applications installed at the
office, drag & drop &c. A Dell server that a customer of mine bought
recently came supplied with a remote access card, which allows you to
VNC into the machine using a Java applet; because the card is in
hardware you can see the power-on messages and enter the BIOS &c. The
VNC client runs under Linux, too, but an additional feature that
requires ActiveX allows you to remotely mount a CD drive though your
web-browser - this allows you to format the hard-drive and reinstall
the o/s from the other side of the Atlantic.

Stroller.