[X4U] firewire hub

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Feb 9 12:05:53 PST 2006

On 02/09/06, CYNTHIA MOORE <cindypmoore at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I made the mistake and purchased two usb external hard
> drives for back up and they are painfully slow. I
> already own a firewire drive which I was using for
> backups but had to delegate it to another use. Now I
> would like to purchase another firewire but since I
> only have one firewire slot on the G5 (I think), I
> need some sort of firewire hub. Can anyone recommend
> one? Also can anyone recommend a 150GB firewire drive?

Three things.
1. Try to return the USB HDs.

2. No need for a hub/router, according to
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300355 > and
<http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html >, all G5s have one FireWire 800 port
and two FireWire 400 ports (one on front).

3. You can roll your own FWHD. Get the Argosy USB/FW enclosure ($38 + S&H) and
put a bare HD into it. See
<http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500933> for details. I have
two and they work flawlessly and the enclosure supports up to 400 GB HDs. You
can get a Seagate 160 GB HD for $50 after rebates
<http://shop1.outpost.com/template/harddrives/>.