[X4U] Lifespan of Harddrives?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Feb 9 15:57:40 PST 2006

On 2/9/06 5:44 PM, nk wrote:

> I've just had 2 external drives puke in as many weeks.
>
> Different brands, but both 7200RPM, FW drives. I had them for 2 and 3
> years respectively. Started hearing that parking sound, followed by
> wierd freezes of the OS.
>
> I do some video, but not every day; it isn't the lion's share of what
> I do. I have the feeling these drives ought to have lasted longer
> than they did, but was interested what other people here have
> experienced.

The internal hard disk on my Rev A 17" PowerBook lasted 29 months before
dying.

The first internal hard disk on my G4 dual 800 lasted less than 6 months.

I have two external Maxtor FW drives. One suffered a head crash a few months
into ownership; the other regularly loses its mount point and needs to be
completely reformatted.

My personal experience only.

-Linda