[X4U] Lifespan of Harddrives?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Feb 10 01:02:42 PST 2006

nk said:

>I have the feeling these drives ought to have lasted longer
>than they did, but was interested what other people here have
>experienced.

If you check on manufacturer's Web sites, you will find that all drive
manufacturers publish the expected MTBF (mean time before failure) of
their drives.  The MTBF is quite a bit higher now than it was just a few
years ago.

That said, hard drives can die a few months after you get them, or they
can last many years.  There is no way to know which it is going to be.
Drives from every manufacturer can die young and unexpectedly.

Getting a drive with SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting
Technology) can offer some warning before a drive dies:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring%2C_Analysis_and_Reporting_Tec
hnology>

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html