[X4U] Lifespan of Harddrives?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Feb 10 14:05:12 PST 2006

Michael Winter said:

>Others have pointed out the unpredictability in determining when a
>hard drive will fail (usually takes years). So the corollary to that
>is if you have hard drives dying at similar times it could be
>coincidence, or maybe its not.
>
>Zane mentioned cooling, but power spikes or lows may be another
>source of trouble.

That is an excellent point.  I've notices that offices that use a UPS on
each computer tend to have hard drives that last indefinately.  (Their
Macs tend to be more reliable also.)

If you get a UPS, make sure that it has "automatic voltage regulation"
(AVR).  This will protect the computer (and hard drive) from sags in
power, as well as from surges.  I like the Belkin UPS units personally.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html