[X4U] FireWire weirdness...

William Scammell bill at wscd.biz
Sat Feb 11 10:09:43 PST 2006

Okay gang, it's my turn to ask for help/suggestions. And of course,
thanks in advance:

HARDWARE

1) Alum 1.5Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, osX.4.4 -- 8 months old, works just fine
and there's tons of space left on the HD.

2) Maxtor 300GB external HD -- 3 days old, brand spanking new -- both
partitions work just fine. Carbon Copy Cloner worked far better than
the enclosed Retrospect Express. (Side Comment: I've never gotten RE
to work in a zillion years. Not a big concern, as I prefer to drag
project folders over for archival purposes.)

3) Maxtor 80GB external FW HD -- 3.5 years old -- **ain't quite
working**

BASIC PROBLEM

osX.4.4 sees the 80GB Maxtor HD in System Profiler, but doesn't mount
the drive to the desktop. (* I've included details further below from
System Profiler. *)

SOME TESTS I'VE TRIED

I can print to my Epson 2200 daisy chaining through the *not quite
working* 80GB Maxtor, so I know that the FW400 from my Alum, through
the 80GB Max, to the Epson is fine. [In one test, I went through the
FW800 port, through the 300GB, through the 80GB, to the Epson.]

the one thing I've noticed, is that the 80GB Maxtor does not indicate
an osX "mount point" nor os9 "driver" (via System Profiler output
seen below) compared to the working 300GB Maxtor. I'm guessing this
is the problem (or a sub-board in the case). So, *how* do I force osX
to mount this infernal thang?

BTW, this non-mounting problem also exists on if I connect the 80GB
Maxtor to my trusty Ti500.

DETAILS

details from osX System Profiler for the 80GB drive:

1394 Disk Drive:

   Manufacturer:	Maxtor
   Model:	0x0
   GUID:	0x10B90000001395