[X4U] Discussions for backing up

Jim Scott jescott3 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 19:36:19 PST 2006

On Feb 12, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Toni Lubofsky wrote:

> I have been reading this list awhile, and don't recall having heard
> of Apple 'Back Up' being recommended for normal backups.  Is there
> some reason this is not a good option (for those who have .mac)?
>
> TLubofsky

I have a 20" G5 iMac virtually identical to yours, and I find Backup
3.1, which is provided as part of my subscription to .Mac, easy to
use. In fact, it's probably the only reason I will renew my .Mac
subscription this year -- it's that valuable to me. I've got it set
to run daily incremental backups of any changes my Home folder, daily
backups of my personal data and settings to iDisk, and monthly
backups to CD/DVD of my Home folder and iLife. Every month or so, I
run a new full backup and manually purge the daily incrementals to
avoid data bloat. At the same time I clone my entire hard drive to an
external firewire hard drive.

Before Backup and .Mac came into my life, I preached backups
religiously and practiced what I preached sporadically. Backup 3.1,
the current version, can be customized to backup just about anything
I want, any way I want, at any time I want. It automatically runs
when I want it to, and gives me worry-free data redundancy and
security. Beyond that, I now have peace of mind because for once a
piece of software takes all the hassle out of necessary but often
overlooked maintenance.

There is no reason to not use Backup 3.1 if you're paying for .Mac.
It doesn't stop you from using other backup strategies, and puts all
your personal data and settings on iDisk which is a boon for those
who travel with their Macs.

Now, if only Apple would do the same thing for system maintenance
instead of forcing me to manually use Disk Utility, MacJanitor and
AppleJack. Yes, I know automatic nightly cron jobs are built into OS
X, but my iMac's always turned off when those necessary maintenance
tasks run.

Jim Scott