[X4U] Firewire HDs daisy-chained

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Feb 13 07:27:27 PST 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 4:09 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Because you are using the same bus for moving your data into and
> out of
> both hard drives.   Just as it is more efficient to use a four-lane
> highway instead of a two-lane highway, it is more efficient to have
> more
> than one FireWire bus.

OTOH, that's where that FW800 we were talking about a while back
would be useful.

Which brings up another question I've always had about FW transfers.
Theoretically, each FW device is a peer, so once a copy operation has
been initiated, it seems like the data should flow only from one
drive to the other if they're on the same bus, without having to pass
through the computer (that's supposedly one of the advantages over
USB). But if I'm understanding correctly, that's not what's actually
happening, is it?

-Mike