[X4U] Re: X4U Re: Finding file names only

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Mon Feb 13 08:19:14 PST 2006

>At 5:51 PM -0800 2/12/06, Jim Hurley wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the tips. The single quote didn't work for me.
>>
>>And they don't make it easy  in the finder. It is a nuisance to have
>>to run through the "Other" options to get the file name. Can't image
>>why  this is not one of the menu selection options.
>
>I agree. But since it isn't, I'm passing on this  post (probably to
>some other list) that I have saved. I implemented it myself, and so
>when I do "Command-F" it comes up with FileName as the default option.
>
>Daly
>
>On 01/26/06, nk <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>   when you create a new Smart Folder in the Finder, the defaults are
>>   "Kind," and "Last Opened."
>>
>>   Any way to change those? I know I'll prbly want "Name" most often...
>
>I suspect that you'll want "filename" instead. You can replace the
>default_smart.plist in
>/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/ withthis
>one and it
>becomes your new Finder Find option. This one has filename and invisibles as
>it's option.

Daly,

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't able to find the file name
"default_cmart.plist". Couldn't get past "Finder.app"; it is not a
folder. It doesn't show up in Spotlight; maybe it is an invisible
file.

And the trouble with using quotes in Spotlight, as some have
suggested, is that you need the whole file name; it's not good enough
to type a part.

I really appreciate Eddie's suggestion about adding "File name" to
the favorites in the finder window. Still not a simple as the old
system but simple enough. This will make my life much  simpler.
Thank you so much.

Jim