[X4U] Fax to japan

George Schneider george at twics.com
Mon Feb 13 18:47:59 PST 2006

> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:49:45 +0100
> From: Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be>
> Subject: [X4U] Fax to japan
> To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
>         <x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> I need to send a fax to Sigma Japan.  Their number is 81-(0)
> 44-989-7451.  I need to know in which field I place what to make
> sending the fax a success.
> I select "Fax PDF" (in the print menu) and then....?
>
> Is it correct that I place 9897451 in the top line and 008144 in the
> bottom line?  the "00" is for us for an international connection.
>
> Paul Moortgat

Paul

phones/faxes from the US(?) to Japan are in the following format:

intl dialno.+countrycode+city/areacode+number.

long distance/out of local area numbers in japan all begin with a zero
"0". but in intl dialing it gets dropped, hence the parenthesis above.

Japan's base numbers are 8-digit, thou as you can see, not always
written to reflect that... an easy way to figure is to work back from
the end of the string as follows, so you get:

1 814 4989 7451 (or maybe 00 814 4989 7451 in your case?)

obviously, it makes no difference to the computer how it's grouped, but...

hope this helps.
george