[X4U] Re: Lifespan of Harddrives? (a bit off-topic)

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Feb 14 11:49:21 PST 2006

nk said:

>yeah, clearly there is much fibbing going on in the world of hard
>drive sales.
>far as I'm concerned, short HD life spans is deliberate..why else
>would something that runs so hot be built without a fan?

All hard drives are built without a fan.  The fan is only added when the
drive is put into either a computer's case or into an external drive
case.  The MTBF rating from a manufacturer either doesn't take into
account how the drive will be mounted, or it assumes a certain level of
available cooling.

I have an external FireWire hard drive sitting right here that has no
fan.  It uses its stout aluminum case as a heat sink, and it seems to do
a very good job at that.  As a side benefit, the drive is really quiet.
And, since it doesn't have a fan, it won't die because of a failed fan
(something that isn't uncommon.)

I don't think that any manufacturer is stupid enough to deliberately
design drives so that they fail prematurely.  But I do feel that some
manufacturers don't design their drives to be as robust as others. (For
cost reasons.) Currently I prefer Seagate drives because they all come
with a 5 year warranty.  All of the Seagate drives that I've purchased
and installed for myself, or for clients, in the past two years have been
100% reliable.  (Considering their features, it's amazing how cheaply you
can get these drives!)

My understanding, from industry insiders, is that we would be appalled by
the failure rate of consumer hard drives.  This is acceptable for most
manufactures, as they sell based on volume and they don't take a big
financial hit by replacing failed drives under warranty.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html