[X4U] Convert RTF to HTML

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Wed Feb 15 11:41:28 PST 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Doug McNutt wrote:

> At 08:43 -0800 2/15/06, Mark Phillips wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest alternative applications for converting RTF to
>> HTML?
>
> I do know that RTF means different things in OS neXt and in the
> Windoze world.
>
> Whatever you find you can be pretty sure it will not include
> "truth" in accordance with the "current" specification of RTF.
>
> Anyone have a pointer to Apple's "official" RTF specification?

Thanks, Doug. I appreciate your comments. As I understand it,
Microsoft created the RTF in the last decade. Here is a link to the
spec on source forge:
	http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/rtfspec.html

And the spec on the Microsoft site:
	http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/
dnrtfspec/html/rtfspec.asp

Presumably, they are the same.

For my purpose, "pretty good" is good enough. And, it wouldn't
surprise me a bit if the author of the newsletter switches to an XML
based word processor soon, but until then...

Apple's Pages does a good job but it adds extra steps and the output
is about the same for the effort. That says something about the
issue, I suppose. Onward...

Happy days,

  - Mark