[X4U] Re: Mac Trojan?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 16 21:57:54 PST 2006

On 2/16/06 8:56 PM, Lists <lists at tntluoma.com> wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2006, at 4:19 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:
>
>> Are PPC viruses a threat to the Intel Macs? I'm assuming they'll
>> have to be recompiled?
>
> If there were real viruses for Mac, they'd run under Rosetta, I'd
> imagine.

There IS now a real virus for OS X but I don't know if it is a Universal
binary. Since it involves iChat, I presume like you said that it would
affect the Intel Macs due to Rosetta.

> However, it would be nice if folks took the opportunity to learn the
> difference between a Virus and a Trojan.  People use them as
> interchangeable, but they are really two different-but-sometimes-
> overlapping things.

A virus self-replicates, which is what this newly-discovered one does.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060217/tc_nm/apple_virus_dc