[X4U] Apple dumping OSX....

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Feb 16 22:55:17 PST 2006

At 8:18 PM -0800 2/16/06, Ted Burton wrote:
>At 9:55 PM -0600 on 16/02/06, Dominic spoke about [X4U] Apple
>dumping OSX.... thusly:
>
>>Not sure if this article has made the complete rounds, I know that
>>Dvorak is a long time Apple hater, but there has to be some fire to
>>this smoke? What has me most concerned is Adobe's decision to
>>postpone Intel version of their Apps until 2007. That kills the
>>Printing and Graphic industries in one stroke.
>
>This happened twice before, when Apple abandoned the 68000 series
>chip and went to the PPC, and Adobe lingered; and when apple went
>from OS 9 to OS X Adobe lingered.
>
>It didn't kill things then, and it won't kill them now. Graphics
>intensive stuff will stay on PPC until Adobe is ready, and lighter
>weight work will rely on Rosetta.

Plus consider this, there aren't any Intel based Professional Mac's,
only laptops and iMac's.  Personally 2007 sounds quite reasonable to
me, remember it's 2006 now.

Something else to think of, without Mac OS X, Apple becomes the iPod,
and it's not going to last forever.  Kill Mac OS X, you kill their
computer hardware business.

BTW, there is another company whose computers used to be top of the
heap in computer animation and the like, namely SGI.  They tried to
move from Unix to MS Windows, look where they are now.  They've even
admitted they're likely to be filling for Bankruptcy this year.
Another example is DEC, they tried to move from VMS and Unix to MS
Windows, they're long gone also, first bought out by Compaq, then HP.
All that really remains of DEC is VMS (one of the few profitable
parts of HP).  Companies that try to move from their own OS to MS
Windows have a *very* bad track record.

		Zane