[X4U] Apple dumping OSX....

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Feb 17 02:31:59 PST 2006

John blows smoke for a living. No way is Apple dumping OS X. Your
idea that bvecause Adobe won't go Universal until next year as a
"problem" is amusing. I just bought a Quad like many professionals
are doing right now. And there is no way that the G5 is going to be
instantly made obsolete by the introduction of Intel PowerMacs before
about 2017 - if then - since they will not be introduced until almost
the end of 2006. Now this may sound a bit of a long term projection.
But I have to tell you that there is no way the printing business is
going to dump all their G5's overnight.

It's the video business that needs more power - where I am - and it
won't come too soon. I want at least 8 CPUs in the form of TWO 4-core
processors in my first Intel MacPro next year. I think They should be
ready by next Spring.

I bought the Quad to crush video at 2x real time vs 4x on the Dual
2.5 GHz G5 I just sold and it did not disappoint. But what we really
need is power enough to crush video at .1 x real time or faster.

Dual 2.5 crushes 40 minute HDTV to iPod in 2.5 hours
Quad 2.5 crushes 40 minute HDTV to iPod in 1.25 hours

So you see there is a lot of room for improvement. Also hope for help
from Leopard and QT 8 for this soon-to-be antique Quad. It really is
pathetic. And this is state of the art.
--
Taylor Barcroft
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster