[X4U] Re: Lifespan of Harddrives? (a bit off-topic)

nk netkat at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 09:03:29 PST 2006

to me, that sounds like MAJOR grounds for a class-action suit on the
grounds of false advertising.

Imagine if airplanes were sold on the idea that wings fail only once
every 10 years.

there'd be a lot of charred dead bodies laying around.

this is definitely in my craw! I pay hard-earned money for these
drives, which are advertised as having a vastly longer life than in
reality.
when one fails, manufacturers are often cool and snarky about their
level of responsibity (or lack thereof).

snarky vendors don't get my work done.

There is one solution for a Mac user for now: buy from a re-seller
who offers a return policy, such as Costco.

Then, if your 150-year drive pukes after 8 months, it's the
manufacturer who suffers the $ loss on the gear, not you.

nk