[X4U] Running a Display-less 333 MHz G3 iMac

David M. Shindell shindell at dataoptics.com
Fri Feb 17 10:42:48 PST 2006

Hi all.  I have a G3 iMac (333 MHz, running Mac OS X 10.3.9) whose
display failed.  I removed the processor / drive bay unit and the
power supply board and found that it would not boot up without also
attaching the display boards.  (In fact, the power on / sleep LED is
also connected through the display board.)  I have two questions to
ask the group.

First, I have been able to power the units up on the desktop (with no
case or display) and I can network to it, I can mount the drives on
my remote Desktop (G5 iMac running Mac OS X 10.4.5) and I can also
SSH into the machine.  What I would like to do is get something like
Share My Desktop to run and configure it to accept a connection from
the G5 iMac using a VNC Client.  I do not know enough about the
command line to do this.  I have transferred the application and even
started it running, but it won't accept the connection from a VNC
client on the remote G5 iMac.  Is there a better way to do this
Without connecting a display to the G3 iMac?  (I do not have any
display to use.)  My goal is to be able to run the machine remotely
via the G5 iMac display, keyboard and mouse.  (I do have a keyboard
and mouse on the G3 iMac, if that helps.)

Second, I would like to eliminate the need to keep the display boards
connected.  Does anyone know what signals need to be spoofed?  I.e.,
which pins need to be jumpered?  I would like to ultimately have only
the processor board / drive bay unit, the power supply board and the
power on switch and LED (plus the speakers & microphone, perhaps, but
they are no problem).

Alternatively, does anyone need any of these working components?
This project has no obvious long term practical motivation.  I also
have the complete housing, with all of its parts (blueberry?).

I am on digest, so copying my e-mail address <shindell at mac.com> would
be very helpful.  Thanks!