[X4U] Random shut downs

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Sat Feb 25 08:28:59 PST 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 2:45 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Winston MacKelvie said:
>
>> Anyone have a clue as to what would cause my one piece iMac G5 with
>> 10.4.5 to suddenly click and shut off at random times. Could be
>> during launch or 10 hours later or even when not being used. Does the
>> same when booted from the Tiger DVD.
>>
>> Otherwise it runs perfectly.
>
> I'd suspect the power supply, or a cold solder joint on one of the
> circuit boards.  If it is the latter, you might notice the problem
> happening somewhat consistently based on what temperature your
> computer
> is at.

I agree with the power supply suspicion, and there is one easy thing
to check regarding that. The power cords on iMac require a little
extra force to be all the way inserted.

Have you checked that? The powercord 'collar' needs to be flush with
the back of the iMac.

May not be the issue, but it is cheap and easy to check.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net