[X4U] firewire woes

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sun Feb 26 01:27:52 PST 2006

On 2/26/06 2:39 AM, Jan Melichar wrote:

> Yes they were. Apart from coming across this problem and your email
> how else might I have found out about disconnecting  the FE drives
> prior to updating a system?

It was a huge issue with OS X 10.3.6, 10.3.7, 10.3.8, and 10.3.9 -- so much
so that Apple wrote it right in the release notes for the update. Those of
us who lived through that will never leave a FW disk connected during update
again. :-)

You mention having a G5, so depending when you got it, you  may never have
used Panther, in which case, you wouldn't know. It's of course possible that
it's *not* the issue; Apple lists a few other pages for troubleshooting
external FireWire devices, too -- cables, power, dirty connection, etc. Are
any of these possible?

There are also troubleshooting tips on LaCie's site, as well:

> The Mac boots but the hard drive does not mount on the desktop.
>
> OS X
> # Try a different cable.
> # Repair the Permissions. Open the Disk Utilities and click on the First Aid
> Tab. Highlight your 'boot volume' on the left side of the window and click on
> 'Repair Permissions'. (Don't bother verifying first. It takes as long as
> repair and something always needs repairing).
> # Shut down, power off and disconnect all devices. Unplug the computers power
> cable (or remove the battery if a laptop). Wait about 15 minutes. Plug
> everything back in and boot up. This may reset the bus.

peace,
Linda