[X4U] firewire woes

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Sun Feb 26 22:07:09 PST 2006

> Randy  - I think I heard about the admonition about not updating
> with FireWire drives attached before but it never stuck between my
> ears.
> Looking back, now - I've always had two FireWire Drives attached -
> over a number of updates - without even knowing I should be having
> problems (?) .... Perhaps since both of my FireWire Drives are
> behind a powered hub saved me?

The problem with some problem is that they don't show reliably. So
although Randy's warning might be a good one to follow, that does not
mean that everybody who doesn't will have problems.

I think everybody felt fine about FW drives attached until Panther
came out. Apple and drive vendors have offered a fix since for the
original problems. But a feeling of uneasiness remains.

You're talking about a "powered hub". That is not common for FW-
drives. In fact, I didn't even know that FW-drives exist, only that
FW can be daisy-chained. Are you sure that although you might have FW-
drives you have not attached them via USB?

Björn