[X4U] New Mac Mini's

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Feb 28 17:27:22 PST 2006

> Apple seems to have very carefully not included numbers for the Core
> Solo on their web page,  but I'd say cut the Dual number in half
> (since it's a SPECrate number) and take a little off and you should
> have a rough estimate.
>
> Note that SPEC numbers grossly exaggerate the performance improvement
> of the Intel chips over the G4/G5 that you're going to see with real
> life apps. Apple says that the Dual Core Mini is about twice as fast
> as the 1.42 GHz G4 Minis, but the Solo core may be considerably
> slower, depending on how multiprocessor sensitive the app is.

I'd noticed the lack of info on the Core Solo on their webpages.  The
inclusion of SPEC numbers was interesting, I believe this might actually be
a first for Apple.  Though I see that in their classic lack of hard
information on performance they fail to give the non-rate numbers.  Apple
has *never* submitted performance information to SPEC as far as I know, I
just checked and they most certainly have never submitted CPU2000 numbers.

Going dual cpu doesn't actually mean a doubling of speed, but then the Core
Duo is 1.66Ghz, while the Core Solo is 1.5Ghz.  So guessing that it's about
half the speed for a multi-threaded, CPU intensive application might be
correct.

> Reports I've seen put the Intel MacBook Pro/iMac at only 10-20
> something percent faster than G5s.

Hmmm, then the Core Duo should be more than enough for a little HTPC minus
the tuner.  Not sure about the Core Solo, without hard numbers on it.

> On the other hand the Intel base machines seem to be much better at
> decoding HD content than the G5s. I haven't seen an explanation for
> this yet, it may be due to the graphics chip they use.

I wonder if this is simular to how VNC sessions are painful when displayed
on a G5, but just as good as being on the actual system on a much slower x86
system.  Same with MS RDC sessions.

		Zane