[X4U] New Mac Mini's

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Feb 28 22:41:35 PST 2006

At 10:42 PM -0500 2/28/06, Muckerheide wrote:
>on 2/28/06 8:27 PM, Zane H. Healy at healyzh at aracnet.com wrote:
>
>>  I wonder if this is simular to how VNC sessions are painful when displayed
>>  on a G5, but just as good as being on the actual system on a much slower x86
>>  system.  Same with MS RDC sessions.
>
>My use of MS RDC on a G5 is full speed, as though being on the system.

That's interesting.  Are you connecting to a Windows Terminal Server,
or simply to a WinXP box?  Also what speed box?

In connecting to a 1.6Ghz P4 with 2GB RAM over a basically idle
switched 100Mbit ethernet, from a dual 2Ghz G5 with 1.5GB RAM with
Mac OS X 10.3.9 it was anything but like being there.  It is usable,
but definitely not that great.

In connecting to a HP DL380 G3 (something like 3.6Ghz hyper-threaded
Xeon with 3GB+ RAM) over a busy corporate network to a 100Mbit
network connection and a dual 500Mhz Pentium III with 1GB RAM running
Win XP it was like being there (I'm now with a nice fast Pentium M
laptop, but don't really notice a difference in speed).  Even when
connecting to these servers over a very slow VPN connection using
DSL, I get far better performance than I do on my G5.

It is the exact same situation with VNC sessions, except I'm
connecting to a Linux box (originally a dual 450Mhz Pentium II, now
something like a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4).

		Zane