[X4U] Faxing in OSX

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Mon Jan 2 12:47:05 PST 2006

(My apologies to Kevin, but I can't find the OP right now.)
My comments relate to Tiger; I think fax has been evolving
and is better in Tiger than in 10.3.

1) I think if the original poster got the dialing message, then
the fax app found the internal modem, an analog line and a dial
tone.

2) It has been frustrating for me too, since I also don't hear the
tones. The best way I know of to verify that fax is dialing
correctly, is to set up fax app to send a fax to a second line in
your house, probably your cell phone. It should dial the
number, your cell phone should ring, and when you answer you
should hear fax trying to start a fax session.

FWIW, fax works ok for me. As far as I can tell, it doesn't tell
me if it sent the fax ok, but it keeps retrying after a few minutes.

My last fax was to my doctor. When I didn't get any feedback
from fax.app, I tried again. I called later to find out if they had
received the fax; the lady in the doctor's office asked me what
she was supposed to do with three copies.

So IMHO, fax works ok, better than I expected, but with insuf-
ficient feedback.

Jon