[X4U] Macs & photography mailing list?

Thomas Noel tnoel at mac.com
Mon Jan 2 23:06:22 PST 2006

Consider another look at the articles on Michael Reichman's site
www.luminouslandscape.com. He has some articles just on workflow that
are amazing. I agree, nothing will help as much as getting a "system"
working for you right from the beginning.

Check out Photo Mechanic for initial light table sorting. Pricey but
very fast and super convenient for the import and copies for backup.
Adobe Camera Raw or Capture One Pro are the gold standard for raw
conversion. There are several great books on use of ACR.

Redundancy is your friend. When I first read a flash card from my
camera, I make copies on two hard drives and immediately burn a DVD.

When you convert a raw file in one of these programs, the raw file
isn't changed at all. A 16 or 8 bit RGB file is created using the
current interpretation and saved -- that becomes the file actually
edited. You can always go back and retune the raw conversion from the
original, and save as a new filename. For instance one conversion
that pulls all possible data from the highlights, and another that
goes as deep as it can into the shadow detail.

Tom