[X4U] iTunes mystery

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Tue Jan 3 07:32:20 PST 2006

On 3 Jan 2006, at 13:35, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Not sure if this is the problem, but do you have your playlists
> sorted in folders? I have my CDs divided into folders by group. The
> folder will have the group name and inside the folder will be a
> playlist for each of their albums. If I select the folder the
> button at the top right of the window displays as Browse. But if I
> select one of the individual playlists the button changes to Burn.
> Another thing to realize is that the Burn button will be "closed"
> until you click on it. This really confused me the first time I
> used iTunes as all the help files and documentation I saw showed it
> with the button "open"
>
> Mark Des Cotes

Yes I do have have files in folders though I have made a playlist as
suggested in apple's help files and on this list but that did not work.

Another members on this list sent me the following:

>  try clicking the '+" sign at the bottom left side of the screen.
> Name the album you want to burn.  Now go to your library and
> isolate just the songs you want to burn.  Highlight them and drag
> them to the new folder on the left of the screen.  Click the new
> album collection (left side) and check it to see they are all there
> are you wanted.  Now you should have a "Burn Disc" option on the
> top left of the itunes page.

This worked

The 'closed' burn icon is really counterintuitive. I looked at it a
long time thinking of it as 'grayed out' and it was only when I saw
the 'burn CD' item in the file menu now black as opposed to gray that
I finally clicked on the burn button - nice effect but...

Thanks for all the suggestion to help with what ought to be simpler
than winking.

Jan