[X4U] Tiger Mail Stalls While Importing Jaguar Mailboxes

silvo conticello silvoc at tiscali.it
Wed Jan 4 04:45:39 PST 2006

On 4 Jan 2006, at 07:36, Rick Gordon wrote:

> I've just set up an iBook G4 running Tiger 10.4.2 (haven't yet
> applied the 10.4.3 update) with a new user whose existing files
> were managed in Jaguar 10.2.8. Upon check Apple Mail, Mail opens
> and begins to import the mailboxes, getting through most of the
> process, and going through a number of special mailboxes. While
> importing the Inbox, it gets through 6076 out of 6152 messages, and
> then just stalls without any error message. I cancelled after a
> while, quit Mail, and tried again, with exactly the same result --
> stalling at the same message.
>
> Does someone have a suggestion how to move through this? I don't
> think this person is going to be happy to lose her messages. I did
> do a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of her old drive to a disk image,
> but I'm not yet convinced it's really a corruption problem, as all
> other aspects of the upgrade seem to have gone smoothly.
>
> Does this ring a bell for anyone? Thanks in advance.
>
> (I guess in the meantime, I'll cancel this and do the system
> upgrades, and then try again, recopying the mailbox from the disk
> image file, if necessary.)
> --

I had the same problem.
I solved it importing the folders in batches and finding the ?
corrupted? mailbox.
Once I found the mailbox  I used some mailbox archiving software to
archive the culprit and re-import it in Mail
I'm sorry I don't remember which software was; I found it through
versiontracker. I have tried some of them until I found one able to
archive in a format suitable to be imported by Mail.
It might be this <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/
26325> or <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23083>
or <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21945>
For sure I did not need to buy in order to use it once.

Hope this helps,
silvo

Silvo Conticello
Albook 17" 1.67GHz/1.5Gb RAM/120Gb HD/OS10.4.3
iMac 1GHz/500Mb Ram/80Gb HD/OS10.4.3/17" display
Cambridge UK