[X4U] QuickTime Codecs

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 17:53:04 PST 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Stroller wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2006, at 20:24, Michael Elliott wrote:
>
>> Sorry i'm getting to this on my laptop, so this has already
>> probably been answered.
>
> Nope, no other joy on this thread.
>
>> All of those codecs listed on that page are sort of...exotic, at
>> least for me.  Are you sure that this is just a "regular" video
>> file that you're trying to open?  Could it possibly be an AVI file
>> from the Windows world?
>
> I can't remember for sure now, but I don't think so. I certainly
> now have WMP installed & double-clicking on .avi files currently
> runs those.
>
>> Many AVI files are playable with VLC (an alternative media
>> player), but many are not playable because the needed codecs don't
>> exist for the Mac.
>
> Yeah, I know about VLC. But I'm pretty sure I've seen things like
> installers for DivX codecs for Quicktime.

There are no packaged DivX codec installers that I know of. Yet,
there are only 2 DivX codecs that I know of anyway.

DivX:
http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

3ivx:
<http://www.3ivx.com/>

These are kind of competing codecs and so I don't think that either
would want to be in the other's installer package. Unless I am
misreading what you are looking for...

One last thing, are you sure you can get .avi's to play in WMP? I
never have been able to.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net