[X4U] Re: X4U Favorite Mice?

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Fri Jan 6 07:15:41 PST 2006

>QUOTE:
>Jim,
>
>I've been using the Kensington Optical Elite (model 72121) for some
>time now. It is a five button (programmable) mouse with scroll. I
>can't imagine anything better, unless it would be a wireless version
>of same.
>
>Jim
>/
>How do programable buttons work in Tiger? I'm a DV and Digital
>Photographer so its allways nifty and time saving to have a
>programmable mouse but how complex can you get? I assume there are
>third party apps to help with that but I'm not sure what mice they
>work with and how complex I can get. I was eying some tonight at
>Best Buy... I like wired though because I notice a lag with wireless.
>
>Lemme know what you all know.
>
>Also can I remap FCP's Mouse buttons?
>Thanks,
-Colt

Colt,

Kensington  has an application  (MouseWorks) which allows you to set
your  preferences for the five buttons (plus scrolling). Very well
designed. With it you  can assign any one of the five button to:

Click
Double-click
Right click
More clicks (i.e.Shift-click, Option-click, click, Command-click and more)
Launch url... (takes you to a selection window)
Launch file... (takes you to a selection window)
Keystrokes....(allows you to send a user-defined set of key  strokes,
e.g. command-W--great for closing windows)
Paste text....(pastes preset user-defined text)
Scrolling...(swap horizontal and vertical scrolling etc.)
Application menu...(drop  down menu  of all open applications...you select)
Popup Menu (Lots of stuff.....)
Do Nothing (for the nihilist in the crowd--actually useful if you are
in the habit of squeezing the mouse in the wrong places.)

I have set mine to:

Click
Double click
Right click
Command-W
Display the open applications menu.

As a photographer you will enjoy the very fine sensitivity to mouse movement.

Hope this helps,

Jim