[X4U] Adding Spotlight Comments to multiple items?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Sun Jan 8 09:36:53 PST 2006

Be careful about adding the use of Spotlight Comments. They are
basically the old Finder comments and are pretty fragile:

Many command-line tools lose this information, even the common cp and
mv.
Also GUI-apps that use these command line tools underneath are affected.
Some filesystems don't store them.
Some compression methods don't store them.

Here's a quote from MacWorld:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/11/15/spotlightanlaysis/index.php

> If you transfer the file to a coworker via iChat, the comments will
> be lost. If you e-mail the file to someone, the comments will be
> lost. If you upload the file to a Unix or Windows file server, the
> comments will be lost.

Your comments are your data, and I would not entrust them to
something that vulnerable. That's like putting them on a drive that
makes strange noises. Not good.

Apple failed badly in this respect. Very amateurish, very
Microsoftish: Great marketing, but lots of short-comings in the details.

Björn