[X4U] Adding Spotlight Comments to multiple items?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Mon Jan 9 11:41:53 PST 2006

> I'm pretty sure both rsync and ditto have options that do retain
> comments

No, they don't it seems:

<http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-43698.html>

> Mac OS X, while being a Unix system, is so with limitations.

I tend to disagree, unless the premise is that every Unixish system
fails in one way or another to be a "true Unix". (c:

> Spotlight isn't designed for command-line users; heck, they just
> use grep, right? :-)

No, they would like to use mdfind.

But anyway, you can never tell which GUI-app resorts to ditto, psync,
rsync, cp and mv under the hoods. And there your precious Spotlight
comments go. Start over, dear Mac user.

Finder comments, now Spotlight comments, where never stable, which is
why in spite of their great usefulness they were never really adopted
by Mac users. I love(d) Apple for getting the details right. This one
they never managed. Maybe the technical issues are just to high. But
then I would rather have Apple completely disable the feature, rather
than risking that users lose data so easily.

Björn