[X4U] Hard drive or hard drive controller gone (mirrored doors G4)

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Jan 9 17:33:30 PST 2006

On 1/9/06 5:39 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> I'd have to agree with Stroller in that I would suspect the drive
> before I would the controller on the motherboard. Even though hard
> disk failures are so rare that most consumers will never see one, the
> physical failure of a hard disk's mechanics is far more likely than
> that of the electronics on your motherboard.

In the last five years, I've had six hard disk failures... half external
firewire (all Maxtor), and half internal -- two in my dual G4/800 (one
Maxtor, one Western Digital) and one in my 17" rev A PowerBook (Seagate, I
think) last month. None in the seven years previous to that...

So yes, I agree -- a disk failure is way more likely than a logic board
failure (only PCs have motherboards).

peace,
Linda