[X4U] Hard drive or hard drive controller gone (mirrored doors G4)

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 10 19:24:04 PST 2006

At 1:36 PM +0000 1/10/06, Stroller wrote:
>On 9 Jan 2006, at 23:39, Philip J Robar wrote:
>>
>>.... Even though hard disk failures are so rare that most consumers
>>will never see one...

I have to agree with Stroller (whose post I deleted): hard drive
failures are ALL too common. Not at ALL something most consumers will
never see. At least in my experience. I myself in my family have had
three in the last 20 years, and I buy only IBM/Hitachi and Seagate
drives. That may not sound like much but ONE hard drive failure, if
it's your main drive and it's not recently backed up, not even in the
last week or so, is pretty catastropic.  My last failure was during a
full backup to an external so I lost both backup and main drive. The
one before that was my main drive during use. One minute it was
working. The next minute it was misbehaving. The next minute it was
gone.

Back up, back up to multiple drives, and NEVER assume it can't happen
to you!  It isn't common but it isn't rare, either.  I now keep two
backups of each of my two internal drives.

Daly